Today is the first day of tech rehearsals – the time when we add lighting, costumes, sound effects, and all the props and scenery to the play – for The Lake Effect. With our first preview just...
- Plays We Want
- How to Submit
- Agent Submissions
- Regional Writers
- Young Writers
Geva Theatre Center accepts submissions of full-length plays, translations and adaptations for production on our stages and for the following programs:
We are looking for bold, theatrical voices and are passionate about supporting the craft of both emerging and established writers in service of our commitment to developing new work for the American theatre.
The purpose and power of the theatrical event has always been to come together in the theatre and discover a new understanding of ourselves. By developing and producing work that explores and celebrates the human experience, we engage in a dialogue about what it means to be human, what it means to be an American and what it means to be a global citizen, in the 21st century.
We try to stay open to a diversity of aesthetic, topic and approach, but plays that we are interested in frequently share some of the following characteristics:
- Strength and depth of writing which would indicate that this is not the first draft of the play
- Strong, interesting characters that offer actors something to explore, and rich relationships between the characters onstage
- A compelling narrative which presents a new story, or a new take on a familiar tale
- Smart, compelling use of language
- Action which befits a story told onstage, rather than on film or in print
The following guidelines apply to submissions for our Festival of New Theatre, Plays in Progress and general production consideration.
Playwrights with professional representation may have their agents send full manuscripts at any time. Please note that lawyers and law firms do not qualify as professional representation.
To best accommodate our schedule of new play activities, we have an Inquiry Window, during which playwrights who are not working with an agent may send a submission inquiry. The dates of the next submission window are January 1, 2017 – April 30, 2017.
We are thrilled to announce a simpler way to submit your script sample and save a tree at the same time! As of 2015, we are only accepting queries through Submittable. During the Inquiry Window, use the button at the bottom of this page to submit your script.
Looking for other places to submit your play before the next Inquiry Window? The blog Play Submissions Helper keeps an updated list of new play deadlines.
Before submitting a play for consideration, please look at our production history and at the lists of new plays we have commissioned or produced, as an indication of the kind of work we are likely to produce.
Please do not send us the first draft of a play. Due to the number of scripts we receive, we can only read any play one time, so make sure you are sending us your best work. Plays for consideration in our play development series must not have had more than one production at another theatre.
To have your play considered, submit the following:
- A cover letter introducing yourself, with your full contact information.
- Your creative resume and a development or production history of this play. If the play has had other developmental readings or productions, they must be included here.
- A description of this play, no more than ½ page. This need not be a summary of the plot – we welcome a description of the play’s world, characters and conflict, and your reasons for writing it.
- A complete list of characters.
- A ten-page dialogue sample. Pages do not need to come from the beginning of your text but must be sequential.
After reviewing your query, we will let you know whether or not we wish to read the entire script.
Ready to show us your work?
Literary agents may send full scripts on behalf of their clients at any time. We are looking for full-length plays and musicals for our development programs and production opportunities. We prefer to receive scripts electronically through the Submittable platform; please click here to access our agents’ submissions page. Agents submitting plays should expect a response within 6-12 months.
If you are a writer from the six-county area of Greater Rochester (Monroe, Wayne, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, and Genesee counties), you are encouraged to submit scripts for the Regional Writers Showcase or 2 Pages/2 Voices.
Regional Writers Showcase
Showcase Dates: Monday, April 17 & Monday, April 24, 2017
Submission Window: Sunday, January 1 – Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Selected Writers Notified By: Friday, March 24, 2017
In collaboration with Writers & Books
Writers of all levels of experience are invited to submit plays for this event, featuring script-in-hand concert readings with professional actors and directors at Geva Theatre Center’s Fielding Stage.
General guidelines are as follows:
- Submissions must include clear contact information: name, address, phone number and email (if available).
- Musicals will not be accepted.
- Script must be submitted in its entirety, with each page numbered.
- Writers may submit up to two plays for consideration.
- Plays that have been submitted for consideration in previous years may be submitted, if there has been significant work done on the script since the last submission.
- There are no restrictions on length or content.
Please note that we are using a new method for submission this year. Plays for consideration must be submitted between January 1 and January 31 using the Submittable website. Please use the link below to submit:
This window will be live for submissions only on the above dates. If you have questions about this procedure, contact Jean Gordon Ryon at email@example.com or (585) 420-2034.
2 Pages/2 Voices
Performance Date: January 24, 2017
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, January 3, 2017
Selected Writers Notified By: Monday, January 16, 2017
In collaboration with Writers & Books
Writers of all levels of experience are invited to submit short plays to this competition. Each play should be no more than 2 pages long, involve no more than two characters and include the 2017 prompt word “cell.” Writers may submit more than one play. Name, address, phone number and e-mail should be included for contact. Font size should be at least 11 points. Submissions cannot be returned.
Submit scripts to:
2 Pages/2 Voices
Writers & Books
740 University Avenue
Rochester, NY 14607-1259
For more information, please contact Jean Gordon Ryon, Geva Theatre Center’s New Plays Coordinator, at (585) 420-2034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young Writers Showcase
Showcase Date: Saturday, May 6, 2017
Submission Deadline: Thursday, March 2, 2017
Selected Writers Notified By: Monday, April 10, 2017
We want YOU to write a play for us!
Geva Theatre Center invites aspiring playwrights from the Greater Rochester area, ages 13-18, to submit short plays for consideration for the Young Writers Showcase. We recommend submitting plays of no more than 10 pages and with no more than eight characters.
Script-in-hand concert readings will take place Saturday, May 6, 2017 in Geva’s Fielding Stage. Writers will be invited to the rehearsals of their work. The performance is free and open to the public.
- Include clear contact information on the script, including name, address and phone number.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope for return of the script if submitted in hard copy.
- Each submitted play must have only one author. Unfortunately, group projects cannot be considered for the Showcase.
Scripts may be submitted by mail or by hand delivery to:
Young Writers Showcase
Geva Theatre Center
75 Woodbury Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14607
Submissions may also be sent electronically to email@example.com.
For more information, contact Jean Gordon Ryon at (585) 420-2034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.