Plays We Want
Geva Theatre Center accepts submissions of full-length plays, translations and adaptations for production on our stages and for the Festival of New Theatre and Plays in Progress series. Currently, we are not accepting unsolicited submissions for these opportunities from unrepresented writers. Playwrights with professional representation may have their agents send full manuscripts at any time. Please note that lawyers and law firms do not qualify as professional representation.
All writers from (currently living or having lived in) the Rochester area, regardless of professional representation, are welcome to submit work for our annual Regional Writers Showcase or Young Writers Showcase. More information and submission requirements for these programs can be found on their respective tabs on this page.
We are looking for bold, theatrical voices and are passionate about supporting the craft of both emerging and established writers in service of our commitment to developing new work for the American theatre.
The purpose and power of the theatrical event has always been to come together in the theatre and discover a new understanding of ourselves. By developing and producing work that explores and celebrates the human experience, we engage in a dialogue about what it means to be human, what it means to be an American and what it means to be a global citizen, in the 21st century.
We try to stay open to a diversity of aesthetic, topic and approach, but plays that we are interested in frequently share some of the following characteristics:
- Strength and depth of writing which would indicate that this is not the first draft of the play
- Strong, interesting characters that offer actors something to explore, and rich relationships between the characters onstage
- A compelling narrative which presents a new story, or a new take on a familiar tale
- Smart, compelling use of language
- Action which befits a story told onstage, rather than on film or in print
Before submitting a play for consideration, you may wish to consider the list of new plays we have commissioned or produced, as an indication of the kind of work we are likely to produce.
Where to Submit
We prefer to receive scripts electronically at our agents’ submissions page on the Submittable platform.
For writers without representation looking for submission opportunities, we recommend the blog Play Submissions Helper, which keeps an updated list of new play deadlines.
If you are a writer from (currently living or having lived in) the six-county area of Greater Rochester (Monroe, Wayne, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, and Genesee counties), you are encouraged to submit scripts for the Regional Writers Showcase or 2 Pages/2 Voices.
Regional Writers Showcase
Showcase Dates: Monday, April 27 & Monday, May 4, 2020
Submission Window: January 2 – January 31, 2020
Selected Writers Notified By: Friday, April 6, 2020
In collaboration with Writers & Books
Writers of all levels of experience are invited to submit plays for this event, featuring script-in-hand concert readings with professional actors and directors at Geva Theatre Center’s Fielding Stage.
General guidelines are as follows:
- Submissions must include clear contact information: name, address, phone number and email (if available).
- Musicals will not be accepted.
- Script must be submitted in its entirety, with each page numbered.
- Writers may submit up to two plays for consideration.
- Plays that have been submitted for consideration in previous years may be submitted, if there has been significant work done on the script since the last submission.
- There are no restrictions on length or content.
Plays for consideration must be submitted between January 2 and January 31 using the Submittable website. Please use the link below to submit:
This window will be live for submissions only on the above dates. If you have questions about this procedure, contact Jean Gordon Ryon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 420-2034.
Young Writers Showcase
Showcase Date: Saturday, May 16, 2020
Submission Deadline: Monday, March 2, 2020
Selected Writers Notified By: Friday, April 3, 2020
We want YOU to write a play for us!
Geva Theatre Center invites aspiring playwrights from the Greater Rochester area, ages 13-18, to submit short plays for consideration for the Young Writers Showcase. We recommend submitting plays of no more than 10 pages and with no more than eight characters.
Script-in-hand concert readings will take place Saturday, May 16, 2020 in Geva’s Fielding Stage. Writers will attend rehearsals of their work in the morning before the 3pm performance, which is free and open to the public.
- Include clear contact information on the script, including name, address and phone number.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope for return of the script if submitted in hard copy.
- Each submitted play must have only one author. Unfortunately, group projects cannot be considered for the Showcase.
Scripts may be submitted by mail or by hand delivery to:
Young Writers Showcase
Geva Theatre Center
75 Woodbury Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14607
Submissions may also be sent electronically to email@example.com.
For more information, contact Jean Gordon Ryon at (585) 420-2034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.